New Women’s Wrestler FAQ
Why should I join wrestling?
- First, it's fun! Most of team continues to wrestle because it's fun. Last season, we went sledding, had a team dinner, dressed up for Christmas, did our own photo shoot, played games in practice, traveled to overnight meets, and more.
- You can also find your strength by working through challenges, create new friendships, and develop confidence.
Do women wrestlers have to wrestle boys?
- No. Women get to wrestle only women in practices and competitions. Women’s wrestling is the fastest growing sport in the country so there are enough competitions for us to not wrestle boys. There is a separate women’s state tournament also that takes place in the Kohl Center along with boy’s tournament.
Are wrestlers required to lose weight?
- No. Yes, there are weight classes, but there are no requirements to lose weight to be at certain weight class.
What are the weight classes?
- Women’s weight classes (in pounds) are 100, 107, 114, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 165, 185, and 235
Are singlets required?
- No. A singlet is not required. Other uniforms are available.
Is high school too late to join wrestling?
- Definitely not! Both of our women’s state place winners in 2023 did not join wrestling until high school. We also had 12 brand new wrestlers last season. It’s not too late to join and be good at it too.
What else would be helpful to know about Holmen women’s wrestling?
- Our biggest priority is creating a good culture. We started the 2022-23 season with 24 wrestlers and ended the year with 22 wrestlers. That only happens by creating a good culture with a fun, positive and relaxed environment.
- We do the right things and combine it with good coaching, so winning takes care of itself.
- We also value accepting everyone.
How can I learn more and follow Holmen Women's Wrestling?
- Use the social media links on the right to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Tik Tok.
- Listen to our podcast episode by Coach Carl and Coach Kelsie.
- Contact Coach Carl
- Use the form below to receive our newsletter.
Come try out wrestling, have fun, and be a part of our team!